Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Ceramic Project





To create our ceramic bowls we used white clay as our medium. My bowl was a rather large bowl. I draped the wet clay inside a large bowl so it took the shape and size of that bowl. When making the bowl we really stressed the element of a radial design.In the center of my bowl I drew a radial design and painted over it with a red clay which made the design more visible. To make the actual bowl I used a technique called slump. The slump technique is when you place the clay when it is still wet inside of a bowl allowing the clay to take the shape of the other bowl. My piece can be used as a place to put objects such as keys and phones when you need a place to put them. I don't think my bowl would be very good for eating out of because it is not very deed and it has two large V shaped cuts out of the side. These cuts are part of the design of my object. To make this design we first took a sheet of folded paper and cut it like a paper snowflake. The paper was then laid on my clay and I cut the clay along the edges of the paper giving it the same design that was on the paper. In doing this project I learned a lot about the different stages of clay and the different things you can do with each stage. If I was to do this project over the only thing that I would change is I would like to do the hump mold technique where you drape the clay over the bowl to make the shape of the bowl 

No comments:

Post a Comment