Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Pastel Still Life



I planned the composition of the objects of the pastel so they would provide the most interesting view and provide the best 3D view in the pastel. We created a thumbnail sketch, which is a small practice sketch that helps you to visualize the art better.It is just a quick little drawing that isn't very detailed or large. We also used a viewfinder to look at the composition of the objects so we could better visualize what we were going to draw. The viewfinder blocked out the surroundings of the objects allowing us to see just the objects. When creating the actual pastel I used multiple techniques to make my objects appear three dimensional. The main technique used was cast shadows on all of the objects. They give the pastel a 3D appearance and it establishes a light source. I also used the idea of highlights to show the rounded parts of the objects. By making the cast shadows, highlights, and changing the value of the table and background I was able to create a light source throughout my drawing. When you establish a light source it improves the quality and 3D aspect of the pastel drawing. 


No comments:

Post a Comment